Ma's Molasses Cookies from the Four Season Series

 
I just baked these for the first time. Fran, Ma's great granddaughter, gave me the recipe to use in the series I am working on - the Four Season Series. 

Fran's home had an extended family living there.  Ma, her sons Ed and Pat and her daughters Helen and Honey.  Helens daughter Patsy and her husband Pumkin and daughter Fran.  I could spend hours at that home.  Someone was always cooking or baking.  There were always Patsy's brothers and their wives coming over with babies - oh how I loved holding and playing with those babies!  Uncle Ed and Uncle Pat always were sitting on the porch telling stories.  And of course, Fran, you could always count on Fran and me to get in trouble somehow. 

When I was little I used to love watching the woman I cherished, Ma in her 90's, make these cookies. I could barely wait for them to come out of the oven and cool enough to eat. That is how I feel right now!

I am taking my first bite - oh my goodness - not too sweet - just right - the jelly on top is essential. (Fran said to use grape jelly. ) The cloves and cinnamon and ginger and nutmeg are in perfect proportions!

Mmmm...  I just went back in time.

Click on Read More to see the recipe!

Molasses Cookies


1 Cup Crisco
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Molasses
1 tsp Soda
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Salt
6 Cups Flour
1 Cup Buttermilk

Cream Crisco and sugar, add molasses.  Sift flour 3 cups of flour with other dry ingredients.  Alternate dry ingredients with buttermilk.  Add the remaining flour and mix just until all ingredients are mixed.  Divide into equal parts.  Roll 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out with three inch cookie cutter.  Place on greased cookie sheet with a standard measuring spoon press a dent in center of each cookie (use back of spoon).  Place 1/4 tsp raspberry or strawberry (Fran says to use grape!) in dent.  Sprinkle cookies with sugar.  Bake 9 minutes at 375 degrees.  Do not over bake. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment