Mmmm....Delicious Aromas



I went looking for Martha Street Market and found the Cruz Family from St. Mary Cathedral purchased it in 1969.  In the Saginaw Series the building is the little grocery store that I remember from growing up - but it was so much fun to find this family working from this building for so long.







Gloria and Santos Cruz own the building at 1200 Martha Street that used to be Martha Street Market. Along with their son, Michael they run a successful take out business.  When I stopped to ask them a few questions about the store they were so helpful.  The food smelled delicious.  I can't wait to go back there to order takeouts for dinner.  Some of their choices are: Tamale Dnner, Wet Burrito, Burrito, Taco, Tostada, Menudo. 

When I explained who I was, Michael asked, "Are you Ms. Shea's daughter?" 

I answered that I was - my Mom was the secretary in the grade school.  His face lit up.  He excitedly called his parents to the front saying, "This is Ms. Shea's daughter."

Michael went on to tell me that St. Mary Cathedral was family to them.  The people he went to school with still come and order their food for family dinners.  He told me several names of families coming in that day for their Christmas dinner orders.

The whole visit made me so happy.  Such a sweet family - with a great business.

No comments:

Post a Comment